The Quakers were active in educating Indians in both traditional school and English agricultural methods. Wapakoneta, was an American Indian town, with a population of some 500 Indians living there in 1808.
Mt Pleasant Quaker, Jonathan Taylor, purchased 500 acres of land in the vicinity of Wapakoneta. The Ohio Yearly Meeting appointed an Indian Committee that built a mill and school in 1817 and taught the Indians skills they could use to survive among English settlers. (1
The Baltimore and Ohio Yearly Meetings (Quakers) provided support for the community throughout the early 1820s. Chief Black Hoof travelled to Mount Pleasant to address the Committee for Indian Affairs at the Ohio Yearly Meeting. (2
“About 1850 the [Mt Pleasant Union Sabbath] school made an undertaking to pay $50 for five years to educate two Indian children at the Ossiliwa Mission, at Red Lake, Minnesota Territory. Rev. Mr. Bardwell, one Sunday morning, brought into school with him an Indian boy. Bringing a live Indian into Sabbath school where few, if any, had ever seen one, created quite a sensation. The school ordered that two children be selected by the Mission, one to be named Anna Mendenhall, for a faithful teacher in the school, and one for J. H. Mercer, the superintendent.”
From the “History of Belmont and Jefferson Counties”
Sources and read more:
Historic Atlas of Ohio Yearly Meeting, Page 22
Historic Atlas of Ohio Yearly Meeting, Page 26